Collection Search

Sound recording of Mavis England speaking about the Occupation and the years after. She was interviewed on 01/10/2004 by Marleen Hacquoil for the Liberation to Coronation Oral History Project. Mrs England speaks about the end of the occupation when she was 26 years old. She recounts the memory of the liberation which she watched from the Royal Square where she describes the soldiers throwing various things to the public watching. During the war she speaks about knitting items of clothing such as gloves for people and shares an anecdote of giving a pair to the postman. She did not ask for payment but was often giving things such as milk which relates to her talking about the lack of food available due to rationing (which continued after the war) but also the poor quality of the food they had such as the bread. Moreover, she then describes the Red Cross food parcels and shares memories of the international road race which includes the death of some of the spectators due to an accident at Bel Royal. Furthermore, she remebers the death of King George VI and the subsequent coronation of Queen Elizabath I. She also shares a story of a friend who had hidden a radio during the occupation and recounts hearing the famous speech by Winston Churchill in which he said ''our dear Channel Islands are also to be freed to-day.'' She continues by describing the difficulties following the war despite the liberation in which rationing was still present,the reliance on doing own farming and then talks about her wedding in 1952. She concludes by talking about the introduction of the old age pension and the demonstrations that take place by some in opposition to this.

Reference: C/D/P/P1/28

Date: 1 October 2004

Sound recording of Robin Hacquoil speaking about the Occupation and the years after. He was interviewed on 16/10/2004 by Marleen Hacquoil for the Liberation to Coronation Oral History Project. Mr Hacquoil speaks about the liberation and post liberation events. He begins by talking about remebering the occupation begining when he was a boy at St Peters Primary School. When the war ended he joined Victoria college and states describes his memories about the end of the war, the reaction of the German soldiers in Jersey and awaiting liberation day. He also speaks about the German soldiers remaining for a time in Jersey to remove some of the fortifications and the failed attempt to initially try and remove the underground fortifications. He mentions the removal of the railway lines installed by the Germans and various weapons that were removed also. Morover, he talks about scavanging for various mementos of the war at locations such as the airport where he recounts a story of a detnoator being set off which led to the closure of the airport to the public at that time. The post year wars are described as being particularly difficult which was heightened considering the winter of 1947 which Mr Hacquoil describes as having the heaviest snow fall he has experieinced. He then goes on to recount the Battle of Flowers returning in 1947 where he describes how it differs from todays event. Similarly he remembers the International Road Races and the tragedy of the several deaths that took place during one particular year. He then goes on to recount the 1949 outbreak of polio and the scare that this generated on the island. Mr Hacquoil also talks about the introduction of social security and the controversy that this generated from certain members of the public. Returning to his memories of the occupation itself he recounts the rationing, being cut off from supplies from france following the D day Landings and then post war talks about recieving Red Cross parcels. He also recounts memories of '' The Welsh Girls'' and the picking of tomatoes whilst also comparing this help with previous labour forces he had experienced coming to Jersey.

Reference: C/D/P/P1/35

Date: 16 October 2004

Sound recording of Jessie Holley speaking about the Occupation and the years after. She was interviewed on 18/02/2005 by Marleen Hocquoil for the Liberation to Coronation Oral History Project. Mrs Holley speaks about the outbreak of the war when she was 18 years old in Jersey where she heard the news over the radio. She speaks about her husband leaving for England to work for several years before he could be accepted for the Navy. Moreover, she states that she was on holiday in Southhampton at the time of the occupation so decided to stay in Engalnd so was not present in Jersey at the time of the occupation. She also details the experieince of numerous air raids and taking cover in bomb shelters. She details her return to Jersey in 1945 where she describes the continuation of the rationing post war in which she describes the application process she had to go through to be allowed back into the island. Morover, she details the return of The Battle of Flowers on the avenue and also the final Battle of flowers before the war in which she took part. Mrs Holley also describes watching the International Road Races which took place post war, the first of which took place in 1947. She describes her surprise at seeing the German fortifications upon her return including the underground hospital where her mother recounted seeing prisoners of war including women and children.Furthermore, she recounts the increase in tourism post war and speaks about a guest house which she ran briefly.

Reference: C/D/P/P1/42

Date: 18 February 2005

Sound recording of Luke Le Moignan speaking about the Occupation and the years after. He was interviewed on 19/02/2005 by Marleen Hacquoil for the Liberation to Coronation Oral History Project. Mr Le Moignan speaks about the start of the Occupation in which he was 17 years old. He witnessed the Germans first arrival and recounts the use of explosives being used in town due to the false belief there was ammunition there resulting in around 10 deaths which was because of the confusion surrounding whether the island was fortified or not. Moreover, he discusses the decision the public made prior to the Germans arrival as to either evacuate or stay, the latter of which he decided upon, remaining on the island. He details an injury he sustained when riding a motorcycle which resulted in him staying in hospital for 2 years. Moreover he discusses the conditions inside the hospital and praises the efforts of the doctors and the nurses. Mr Le Moignan also talks about the house he was living in which included German soldiers living there also who allowed them to divide the house. He talks about his impressions of the equipment/technology that the Germans had brought with them which he remembers being impressed by. Aditionally, he details several examples of ways in which he and other would rebel against the German soldiers and the fact that telecommunications had been cut off completley. He describes the end of the Occupation, the celebrations on the island along with the work to return the island to normal following the war. Finally, he talks about his memories of West Park Pavillion and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.

Reference: C/D/P/P1/56

Date: 19 February 2005

Marleen Hacquoil interviews Mrs Binda Dubras, née Blampied, aged 91, about her life [listening copy - recorded from reel-to-reel audio tape onto CD-R]. Side 1 [green leader, left track] includes: Born on island, at 1, Belevedere Terrace; 1 brother and 1 sister; her maternal grandfather came from Kent, was in the army and stationed at Elizabeth Castle - when he retired he had a chemist's shop at Beaumont, and made his own eau de cologne; her was father born in Nova Scotia, his family were chandlers, they came back to Jersey on sailing boat the 'Patrus'; the family moved into Oxford Villa, Oxford Road to be near St Mark's school when she was aged 3 or 4; memories of school life - school day started with prayers/hymn, girls school only, subjects studied; had private music lessons after leaving school; during the First World War her father sold margarine and she worked in his shop - that is where she met her husband; sister went to convent school at St Lawrence; had lessons in French; stayed at a farm, lived as a farm hand; life at home, helped around the house, no electricity; mother made own clothing; didn't feel anxious feeling to be in fashion or in style - couldn't afford it anyway; newspapers were scarce; memories of first books read; people didn't really go out anywhere; worked for father until she got married; also worked as receptionist at Halkett Hotel; never had disposable income; married at 23; made 4 sets of clothing, as well as linen; memories of wedding day; left for France the same day; stayed in Paris 3 weeks, buying furniture to be sent back to Jersey. Side 2 [red leader, left track] includes: more about buying furniture in Paris; didn't have friends back to the house very much; as a young girl was a tomboy, was one of the first to go into the dolmen at La Hougue Bie when it was discovered, also a cave in the north of the island; 3 or 4 famlies went on picnics together for recreation; in winter went caving all along the South coast; enjoyed swimming, describes bathing costumes of the times; sand boating; was given diploma by the Humane Society for saving the lives of 5 people off the Pinnacle Rock - tells the story; husband joined the French army on the outbreak of World War One as he was the first born son of a Frenchman; stories of her husband's activities during World War Two; they had a business selling perfume and doing ladies and gents hairdressing; carried on during the occupation; memories of events that took place during the war years; got in trouble with the German Authorites for refusing to pay a fine for showing a light at night, husband had to go to college house to pay - she feared that he would be taken off to a camp; memories of Mrs Gaudin of Beaumont, an old lady who never went into town her whole life; it was very rare for people from the country to come into town; memories of the Jersey railway. Side 3 [green leader] includes: first ride in car and on a motorbike; stories about driving and cars; not many women drivers of cars or horse drawn vehicles. Duration 75 minutes. Recorded 30/05/1991. Tape speed 3 3/4 ips. Poor sound quality. NB Please note that Side 3 was unable to be copied and so is not included in the listening copy.

Reference: R/03/J/5

Date: 30 May 1991