Collection Search

Comments

HM Prison La Moye

Reference D/AG
Scope and Content The Prison Records at the Jersey Archive date from 1814 when the Jersey Prison was located at Gloucester Street. The Gloucester Street prison opened in 1812 after the demolition of the previous prison at Charing Cross in 1811. The Charing Cross prison was built in the late 17th century after an order in Council dated 24 November 1682, under which permission was given to levy a duty of 5 shillings per ton on all French vessels trading with Jersey to use these funds to construct a prison. Before Charing Cross, Mont Orgueil served as the Island prison with certain properties around the Island having holding facilities to confine wrongdoers until they were taken to Court. The prison at Gloucester Street, also called Newgate Street continued to hold prisoners through the 19th Century and was used for Political Prisoners. Following the Liberation, the Prison Board invited a Home Office Inspector to visit and report on conditions in the aging prison. The subsequent report of the Prison Commissioners in 1946 stated ‘the existing buildings ought not to be retained for any purpose or day longer than is strictly necessary’. However it was not until 1975 that the new prison at La Moye was built.
Names HM Prison, La Moye
Keywords prisons | crimes | criminals | Prisoners | states departments online
Category D-States Departments and Administrations
Level of description Fonds

Context:

D/AGThis item»