Collection Search


Overseas Trading Corporation Limited

Reference L/A/01
Scope and Content In April 1876, Thomas Charles Staples Cook of Reading and his business associate William Brett moved their export business to Jersey due to the high taxes in the UK. They dealt with many commodities including bulk China teas, silk, cutlery and footwear. The first tea packing factory was established by Mr Brett in a rented store in Commercial Buildings, it was moved to Cheapside in 1880. In 1884 Mr Cook's brother-in-law, Joseph Walker succeeded Mr Brett in the running of the business in Jersey. Mr Cook died in 1890 and thereafter Joseph Walker controlled the whole business with the help of his four sons, Frank, Jospeh, Ernest and Thomas. Goodwill was established in Buenos Aires, Argentina for the renowned brands of tea sold throughout the country under the proprietary name of Te Sol, registered in 1888 by Mr Cook. The factory moved to Sun Works, First Tower and became a limited company in 1901 - J J Walker & Sons Ltd. The Overseas Trading Corporation Ltd was the result of a merger between J J Walker & Sons Ltd and W H & F J Horniman in 1920. This company bought the export tea business of Hornimans and their associate company J Lyons & Co. After further expansion the company was reformed in 1939 to become the Overseas Trading Corporation (1939) Ltd, with Lyons as the dominant partner. The books and records of the company were removed to London prior to the outbreak of the Second World War by managing director Melville Walker. An office was set up at the Horniman premises in Sherpdess Walk, Islington. After the occupation of the Island in 1940 by German Forces the OTC warehouse was made the main store for tea and grain. In 1947 exports from the OTC were resumed but on a much reduced scale.
Names Overseas Trading Corporation (1939) Limited
Keywords Trade | exports | businesses
Category L/A-Businesses
Places Sun Works
Level of description Fonds


L/A/01This item»