Comments

St Ouen's Parish Church

Context:

G/C/02This item»
Reference

G/C/02

Scope and Content

The exact date of when the first church appeared in St Ouen's is not known, but it is believed that there was a small thatched chantry chapel on the site of the present one at some stage in the past. Certainly the church is referred to in a charter signed by William the Conqueror prior to his invasion of England, which therefore indicates its existence prior to 1066. It was probably built by an early seigneur of the parish since the de Carteret family later regarded it as their own property. In 1156, the small chapel was enlarged and improved as a result of Philippe de Carteret giving it to the Abbey of Mont St Michel and the wealthy abbey built two adjoining chapels and constructed a tower to contain a new peal of bells. In the 16th century the church along with many other island churches became a Huguenot temple and the pews were all turned to face the central altar. The church was changed into an Anglican church in the 19th century when many of the stained glass windows were added. One distinctive feature of the church is the unusual staircase in the nave, which leads to the belfry. The collection of church plate is also of interest with two cups dating back to 1638, which were presented to Sir George Carteret, and further two cups bearing hallmarks of 1624 and 1627 respectively. In 1880 the church was so popular that it was decided to build St George's Chapel in the north west of the parish in order to receive some of the overflow. The original church bell was cast by La Source in 1754, being re-cast several times subsequently before the present bell, which was cast in 1971 by John Taylor and Sons at Loughborough. Finally outside the church three gravestones can be found which have been built into the church walls, one of which depicts a patriarchal cross, whilst another shows a chalice and book. Bibliography - 'The Visitor's Guide to Jersey' by Sonia Hillsdon. 'Buildings and Memorials of the Channel Islands' by Raoul Lempriere. Item-G/C/02/B5/1-Article from the Jersey Evening Post by Sue Le Ruez. These items were deposited with the Archives Service on 16 August 1996 and a second accession came in on 10 June 2003.

Keywords

church archives | Church of England | ce church registers collection | St Ouen

Level of description

fonds

Search query time: 0.031254 seconds • Page build time: 0.0041957855224609 seconds