Showing 1 Clear searchX
Jersey Motor Transport Company Limited Archive
|Scope and Content|
In 1869 a new Bill in the name of the Jersey Railway Company, Limited was passed by the States of Jersey. Work on the line between St Helier and St Aubin was duly completed the following year and the inaugural journey took place on 25 October 1869. However, by the close of the 19th century the Jersey Railways Company Limited was running in to financial trouble and the decision was made to sell the business to Messrs W H Venables Vernon, Clement Le Sueur and E H Bayldon. The Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited was registered on 18 January 1896 under the auspices of the three gentlemen. The new company took over the assets of the Jersey Railways Company Limited from 1 February having bought the concessions, freehold and leasehold lands and buildings, rolling stock, plant and machinery for £53,881 18.2. The Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited continued to improve the coverage of the railway in Jersey and the railway became increasingly popular. On Easter Monday, 2 April 1923, an extremely important event for the history of the Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited took place. The Jersey Motor Transport Company Limited was set up by the English firm Devon Motor Transport and they started running from that date. In response the Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited started running a competing bus service four months later. The year 1925 proved particularly successful for the Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited with a total revenue of £23,475. By 1928 the Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited had decided to buy the Jersey Motor Transport Limited and its buses and they officially took the company over on 5 August 1928. Profits from railway services were steadily in decline with the States agreeing that the rail service could stop running in Winter 1932 to be replaced by buses. By this time the Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited had leased their fleet of 13 omnibuses to the Jersey Motor Transport Limited for £2000 per annum. After a fire at St Aubin's station in 1936 the Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited decided that it would be undesirable to continue to run the train service. Having accepted an offer of £25,000 from the States for the transfer of the company's interests in the concessions and real estates the company was liquidated in 1937. At an extraordinary general meeting in October 1937 resolutions were passed approving the winding up of the company and the sale of the realty to the States. A new company named Jersey Road Transport Limited was formed. All the shares of the Jersey Motor Transport Company owned by the Jersey Railways and Tramways Company were transferred to this new company and the JMT continued to run under its auspices. The Archive includes records from the Jersey Railways and Tramways Limited, Jersey Road Transport Limited and the Jersey Motor Transport Company Limited. They were collected from the JMT terminal at the Weighbridge when it was closing down in 2005. Further Reading: N R P Bonsor, "The Jersey Railway: The Railways of the Channel Islands, Volume 1", The Oakwood Press, 1969.
|Level of description|