Showing 1 Clear searchX
Photographs of the Bath Hotel, Bath Street, St Helier. Includes: photos of the hotel dining room, 1931; Queen Street and the hotel exterior decorated for the Prince of Wales' visit, 1935; musicians Eric (surname unknown), Sam Wilson, Trevor Boston, Wally Dale, Peter Ford-Hacking and an unknown female vocalist; the hotel exterior in 1945; Bill Matson and two gas workers at the hotel bar, 1950; an unidentified staff member in comissionaire's uniform, not dated.
1931 - 1950
13 photographic print - black and white
|Level of description|
L/A/50 Hilda Blanche Ford Hacking Collection of material relating to the Bath Hotel, c1931-2012. The Bath Hotel was located at 90, Bath Street. Hilda Blanche Ford-Hacking leased the property and established the Bath Hotel there in 1922. In the earliest census records the house had the address of 1 Buckingham Place, but following the renumbering prior to 1861 it became 40 Bath Street. The Street was renumbered again duing the 1920s, with the hotel becoming number 90. It appears that the house was built by Jean Le Gros, a merchant, and then handed down through his family and into the Renouf family through marriage. It was sold for the first time in 1895 by Charles Thomas Renouf to Charles Walter Randall in 1895, where it is described as ‘Chicago House’, also known as number 40 Bath St. Charles Walter was one of the sons of Robert Randall and owner of Minden Place Brewery. The Randalls family or the brewery have retained ownership of the house ever since. The Bath Hotel flourished under the tenancy of Hilda Ford-Hacking. It was particularly renowned for its gardens, which were designed on a Viennese theme and where live music was held regularly in the summer months. During the Occupation the hotel ceased to operate as such, although Hilda managed to stop the German Forces commandeering the hotel on two occasions and even refused to serve the German soldiers in her bar. Following the Occupation the hotel and gardens did not re-open but Hilda and her daughter Florence continued to run the property as a public house. (Background information sourced from Jersey Archive 'What's Your Street's Story' talk on Bath Street, November 2012). »
Search query time: 0 seconds • Page build time: 0.015579084555308 seconds