Comments

St Thomas' Refuge

Context:

D/AN/XThis item»
Reference

D/AN/X

Scope and Content

Based in St Clement's Road, St Thomas' Refuge was a charitable institution for wayward girls and women. It tried to improve moral standards and gave a second chance to women who had been referred to them or were taken forcibly by the authorities. It was founded in 1886 by Canon Braithwaite and Lady Bertram. It trained women and girls for domestic service and relocated them away from their previous surroundings and bad associations via a network of sister organisations. It also encouraged the women it helped to keep in touch, both with the society and with each other. At their 21st birthday celebration in 1907 the Refuge or House of Help calculated that it had helped over 700 women and girls to make a new start.

Names

St Thomas' Refuge

Keywords

Refuges | Women

Level of description

sub-fonds

Search query time: 0 seconds • Page build time: 0.0078166325887044 seconds