Papers relating to the defence of the Channel Islands and fortifications, includes; St Aubin's Fort, the property of the War Department, Mont Orgueil, Viviers Battery, reports on the Royal Jersey Militia, Martello Towers, and a possible survey of the Channel Islands

Reference: A/D2/1

Date: July 15th 1831 - November 10th 1987

Accounts of T Pipon, Paymaster of the works for the defence of Jersey

Reference: AO 1/2534/678

Date: 1787 - 1801

Accounts of J L Hammond, Paymaster of the works for the defence of Jersey

Reference: AO 1/2535/679-685

Date: 1801 - 1810

Official correspondence with index. Subjects include: ancorage duties charged on the vessel 'La Julie'; arsenals and barracks; coastguard boats; repair of the battery de la Cotte; cattle from France; private chapel in St Helier; petition to raise height of road from St Helier harbour; cider; the Convention of Commerce and Navigation between UK and Norway and UK and France; prohibition of corn exports to UK; petition of islanders on the Corn Bill; the right of Crown Officers to speak in the States; deserters; drill sheds and magazines; contested elections; petitions of the Royal Court; the election of jurats; prohibition of export of wheat flour; proclamation of peace between England and France; prohibition of export of gun powder; relaxation of harbour regulations for the 'Shamrock'; St Helier Harbour; legacy of Jeanne Marett to General Hospital; trial by jury; Nicolas Hamptonne of St Mary; drill shed at St Mary; Royal disapproval of Act of States relating to methodists; the militia training; numbering houses; oyster fishery; petition from Trinity concerning merchants from France; petition of inhabitants of Charing Cross concerning animals; port charges; the prison and the treadwheel; prisoners of war in France; quarantine; enlargement of the Route du Coie, St Helier; vraic; naming of streets; purchase of land at Town Hill for fortifications; trade; relief for sufferers of war in Germany; cultivation of wasteland; preservation of woodland

Reference: C/A5/1

Date: March 21st 1785 - December 6th 1832

Report on an organised tour of certain Ancient Monuments in England and Wales, undertaken by C.J.Such, Chief Architectural Assistant, States' Engineer's Department, arranged by the Ministry of Works. Gives details of the methods used by the Ministry of Works in the preservation of Ancient Monuments. Includes photographs of; Kenilworth Castle, Ewenny Priory, Caerphilly Castle, Beaupre Castle, Tretower Castle, Goodrich Castle, Carreg Cennen Castle, Raglan Castle, Ogmore Castle, Maison Dieu - Ospringe, St. Augustine's Abbey - Canterbury, and Deal Castle.

Reference: C/B/K/A/1

Date: June 1st 1953 - June 1st 1953

Report from the Ministry of Works on Elizabeth Castle and the Islet of St Helier, with recommendations for treatment and preservation. Made after an inspection in June, 1955. Includes the following sections; Condition of and Recommendations for the Outer Ward, Lower Ward, Upper Ward and Mount, The Breakwater and Harbour, The Oratory or Chapel of St Helier, notes on repair and preservation of brickwork and masonry, notes on the treatment of stonework, woodwork, beetle attack, dry rot, and ironwork, programme of work and costs, numerous photographs of the Castle and Islet taken from 7-9 June 1955, and a plan of the Castle. Photographs taken by Le Brocq and Le Clercq of 9, New Street, St Helier.

Reference: C/B/K/A/2

Date: August 1st 1956 - August 1st 1956

Copy of the report from the Ministry of Works on Elizabeth Castle and the Islet of St Helier, with recommendations for treatment and preservation. Made after an inspection in June, 1955. Includes the following sections; Condition of and Recommendations for the Outer Ward, Lower Ward, Upper Ward and Mount, The Breakwater and Harbour, The Oratory or Chapel of St Helier, notes on repair and preservation of brickwork and masonry, notes on the treatment of stonework, woodwork, beetle attack, dry rot, and ironwork, programme of work and costs. Also includes four photographs of brickwork. Photographs by Le Brocq and Le Clercq of 9 New Street, St Helier.

Reference: C/B/K/A/3

Date: August 1st 1956 - August 1st 1956

Report from the Ministry of Works on Mont Orgueil Castle, with recommendations for treatment and preservation. Made after an inspection in June, 1955. Includes the following sections; Condition of and Recommendations for the Outer Ward, Lower Ward, Middle Ward and Keep, notes on repair and preservation of brickwork and masonry, notes on the treatment of stonework, woodwork, beetle attack, dry rot, and ironwork, programme of work and costs, numerous photographs of the Castle and Islet taken 10 June 1955, and a plan of the Castle. Photographs taken by Le Brocq and Le Clercq of 9 New Street, St Helier.

Reference: C/B/K/A/4

Date: August 1st 1956 - August 1st 1956

States of Jersey Public Services Department Safety Report on Mont Orgueil Castle and Elizabeth Castle. Compiled with the assistance of Mr Nick Reading, Head of the Architectural Section of English Heritage. Includes coloured pictures of the safety risks highlighted in the two Castles, and details of the problems and proposed solutions.

Reference: C/B/K/A/5

Date: September 1st 1991 - September 1st 1991

Set of photographs of Elizabeth Castle. Half the photographs were taken in 1922 by E. Guiton, the other half were taken in 1984 showing exactly the same view of the castle, over 60 years later.

Reference: C/B/K/C/1

Date: January 1st 1922 - January 1st 1984

Set of Photographs of the return of the cannons from the Grand Battery of Elizabeth Castle, to Jersey. Includes pictures of the cannons on a ship in the Jersey harbour. This set of photographs has been taken by Senett and Spears Ltd., Photographers. Also includes a photograph of Library Place, St Helier and four unidentified photographs of a staircase. Undated.

Reference: C/B/K/C/2

Date: 1960 - 1965

Set of Photographs of the maintenance, restoration and repair work of the fabric of the following fortifications in the Channel Islands; Fort Henry, La Crete Fort, Fort Regent, La Cotte, Kempt Tower Battery, Portelet Tower, L'Etacquerel Fort, Elizabeth Castle, St Marys Priory Chapel, and Old Fishermens/Quarrymens Cottages.

Reference: C/B/K/C/3

Date: May 5th 1977 - May 19th 1985

Set of Photographs of the maintenance, restoration and repair work of the fabric of Mont Orgueil Castle. Also includes a set of photographs relating to the discovery of unexploded shells in the Grand Battery of the Castle, and their subsequent disposal. Includes a small number of photographs of Pendennis Castle, Falmouth.

Reference: C/B/K/C/4

Date: November 22nd 1978 - December 22nd 1982

Sound recording of Michel Gould speaking about the Occupation and the years after. He was interviewed on 07/02/2005 by Stuart Nicolle for the Liberation to Coronation Oral History Project. Mr Gould speaks about the troups landing in town, cycling from Grouville, the school shutting down, the children looting, exploring the fortifications, the mines removal, getting the golf course back in shape, his father’s job as a manager at Boots, the coming of fresh products, the rationing after the Liberation, his time at Victoria College during the Occupation and the teachers, one of his teacher participating in the Olympics, being a part of the guard of honors during the Montgomery visit, going to work as a lawyer at Hillstreet, learning at distance, passing the bat, participating in a French exchange, helping out on farms during the Occupation, the weighbridge, tourism, traveling by cars, motocycles and bicycles, the Battle of Flowers, the Boots on Queen Roads, shops, watching the coronation on television, traveling to Southampton to see his family, the lawyers on royal courts and the day he was sworn in.

Reference: C/D/P/P1/32

Date: February 7th 2005

Search query time: 0.6093974 seconds • Page build time: 0.027263482411702 seconds