Showing 7 for spiresX
Photograph of newly constructed houses at the Le Squez estate, photograph of the top of a church spire with weather vane and lightning conductor, photograph of the shop at 15 and 15½ Hue Street, and photograph of L'Etaquerel Guest House, St Ouen.
Date: 1967-04 - 1967-05
File number: 46
Page number: 7
Photographs of elevated views of St Helier, one taken from South Hill, which include the Harbours, Elizabeth Castle, St Aubin's Bay, Town, rooftops, spires and chimney's .
Date: 1951 - 1951
Subject: Old Views
File number: 9
Page number: 4
Images of the exterior of St James' Church, St James Street, St Helier. The right spire of the church is covered in scaffolding as part of repair works being carried out on the building.
Date: November 18th 1976 - November 18th 1976
Photographer: Glenn Rankine
JEP Photographic Job Number: 1976/2503
Images of work on re-rendering the Grouville Church spire, the church clock will also be repaired [from JEP 20/03/82 p.10]
Date: March 18th 1982 - March 18th 1982
Photographer: Ron Mayne
JEP Photographic Job Number: 1982/718.
Jersey Talking Magazine-November Edition. Introduction by Gordon Young. Beth Lloyd interviewing Harry Patterson about his latest book 'To Catch a King', its historical accuracy, the plot of the book and the true story behind the book involving the plan to capture the Duke of Windsor during the second world war and use him as king once Britain had been defeated. David Bougeard talking to Marion Beech at the Barreau Art Gallery about various pictures including a portrait of Senator Ralph Vibert by Maisie Ryan, paintings by Lisette Le Sueur, a picture of a summer storm by Norman Pallot and paintings of Jersey scenes by Eric Walker. Linda Le Vasseur talking to Jean Dutton about Greenpeace in Guernsey, saving the whales, how it started locally, the links with the anti-nuclear groups, the boat the Rainbow Warrior, problems Greenpeace have run into in Iceland, whether she is hopeful for the future to stop whale killing and the Greenpeace Guernsey market being held to raise money. Cooking Feature-Margaret Jenkins talking about recipes that use apples. In Touch tips for the blind on butcher's skewers. End of Side One. Interview with John Rust, music master at Victoria College Prep including the choir singing. He talks about whether he ever wanted to be a musician, his career, coming to Jersey, visiting Salzburg, teaching pupils at the school, putting on concerts, problems of boys dropping out, the amount of boys in the choir, the excitement of the boys before performing and how he gets them to perform. Joan Stevens taking a tour around St Martin. Talks about the boundaries of the parish, St Martin's Church-the patron saint of the church, records of St Martin's Church from 1042, spire being struck by lightning and a conductor being put up, the age of the spire, finding the broken head of a saint, the perquage leading from the church to St Catherine, La Masseline Dam, Les Ecrehous is part of St Martin-talks about the International Court of Justice Case, the priory, the quarrying of granite from the reef which was used in St Martin, St Catherine's Breakwater-lots of things went wrong, badly planned, harbour was given to the States of Jersey, tower at Fliquet, two prehistoric monuments-La Couperon and Faldouet, Rozel Manor and its alterations, the chapel in the manor which is from the twelfth century-belongs to the Lempriere family, Bandinel Farm-built by 1619 Jean Le Manquais and then passed to the Bandinel family-example of a superior house of the 1600s, St Martin's House-altered a great deal-first owner Gratien Collas in 1490-a breton and a great deal of changes since, fireplace found in which a pottery jar was found-it was a pout-an early version of a safe. Gordon Young tells a humorous story.
Date: October 31st 1979 - October 31st 1979
Jersey Talking Magazine-December Edition. Introduction by Gordon Young. Joan Stevens taking a tour of St Peter talking about the size of the parish with the sea on two sides, St Peter's Church which is mentioned in records before 1066, in 1053 it is referred to as St Pierre don la dessert because of the exposed sandy soil. Where Jersey Airport is now used to be rich corn land with massive harvests. Down near St Ouen the sand dunes are with diverse wildlife-Les Mielles is being preserved as a result. St Peter's Church-tallest spire in the island and has been hit by lightning at least 3 time, it dates from 1400s and there are some initials on some of the stones. In the church an incised tombstone has been built into the wall-marks of a blacksmiths grave. Over 100 years ago the church was too small for congregation-an extra knave was built as a result of the garrison being stationed at St Peter's Barracks. Barracks built in 1811 until 1927-they were removed to make way for Airport. Bell in church has a name incised on it, a piscina in the church was found in Les Bois when it was knocked down and was installed in church. A priory in St Peter was on land called La Flocquetterie-now Philadelphie Chapel stands on it. On the corner by Oak Walk there was a leper house. St Anastase-in Coin Varin-was a school house which was founded in 1496. Children attended from 6am-6pm and had lessons in latin and were taught latin, the classics and divinity. La Hague Manor-now changed to school, the colombiers was changed into the school library. The house itself was built in 1634, rebuilt in 1733 and in 1871 by Colonel Le Cornu. St Peter's House-originally home of Robin Family-burnt in 1754 and rebuilt-greatly altered since-used to be home of Sir William Venables Vernon-bailiff. The Rectory-moved 3 times in the parish-used to be next to La Hague Manor then moved nearer church to north of La Flocquetterie-1800s and then moved beside there and then modern rectory moved close by church. Mills-more mills than every other parish-Quetteville has been restored by the National Trust for Jersey-working mill, Tostain Mill-did belong to a lame priest. St Peter had a windmill in 1837-turned into restaurant. Parish gun-1551 at Beaumont Hill-all parishes had guns-only one that survived-made by John Owen and inscribed, in 1839-Sir John le Couteur found it in England and returned it to the parish. St Ouen's Bay-a great deal of it in St Peter-famous battle-commonwealth defeated royalists during civil war-Sir George Carteret defeated by Admiral Blake-Carteret fled to Elizabeth Castle. Jersey Airport-started 1937-extensions since. Germans dug into St Peter almost more than any other parish-headquarters at Panigo [?]-underground constructions and strongpoints in the parish. Beautiful houses in St Peter. St Peter's Valley-crowning glory of parish-Queen Victoria-visit in 1859 taken by Sir John Le Couteur for a drive there. Rachel Pirouet singing a song that she sang in the Jersey Eisteddfod followed by the presentation of the John Lobb memorial goblet to the Jersey Eisteddfod. Phil Gurdon talks to Beryl Jordan about how the Jersey Eisteddfod was going, the judge of the competition, the number of people who had entered, no class for the Jersey Norman French, how long the Eisteddfod had been going in Jersey and when they start preparing for the next years competition. Pat Dubras and Brian Le Breton singing a duet from the play 'Free as Air' performed at the Jersey Opera House. Beth Lloyd paying tribute to David Scott-Blackwell who used to present In Touch tips for the blind including quotations fro his poetry. End of Side One. Chris and David at a steam fair in Trinity in the sheds of Lyndon Charles Pallot with a steam engine threshing corn describing the scene and how the engine and the threshing machine works, what the engine is used for, looking at the steam machines in the shed, hand threshing being shown and the man being interviewed [with a Jersey accent] about the process, the threshing machine, when it would have been last used and a corn measure. A man being interviewed about bread being made and the process involved, cabbage loaves and how they are made. Description of a petrol engine and a smaller threshing machine with the noise of the machine and interviews about the machine including with Jim Purvis, description of a tractor, interview about a machine that rolls oats for the horses. Describing model steam engines made by Harold Taylor of St Ouen with the noise of the engines. Mr Pallot talking about the different machines that he owns, working with them and the steam fair. Description of different engines on display. Cynthia Reed interviewing Robert Farnon, a composer and arranger who lives in Guernsey, asking whether he came from a musical family, what musical instruments he played when he was young, having professional training, when he wrote his first piece of music, his first job in the professional world-playing in his brother's band, how he starts composing music, conducting, when he moved to Guernsey, his favourite piece of music he wrote, how much he enjoys arranging music, the music he listens to, his favourite artist to work with -Tony Bennett and what he is doing next in his career. James Clayton reading a story about 'Dinah-the Dog with a Difference'. End of Side Two.
Date: November 30th 1981 - November 30th 1981
Showing 1 to 7 of 7 for spires