[Copy from the Imperial War Museum - Not to be reproduced.] Photocopy of a letter of Walter Blampied Le Cocq, of Kengarth, Bagot, in St. Saviour, to a relative named Eva. The letter is dated 12th May 1945, and describes some of the conditions of the Occupation. Le Cocq says that they had to be very careful what they said and did as they were 'surrounded by spies' in the pay of the German Secret Police. He describes the restrictions on three or more people meeting in the street, and the fines and imprisonment that could be given by the German Commandant for this offence. He lists the types of identity cards they were required to carry at all times, and the notices which they were ordered to fix in the main entrance of their homes listing the occupants. No two people could ride side-by-side on their bicycles, and Germans hiding in the shrubbery on Victoria Avenue would leap out to arrest them if they saw this happen. Most of the islanders' motor cars were requisitioned by the Germans, who paid for them in Marks. Then they confiscated the bicycles, and worst of all the wirelesses which left them 'completely cut off from the outside world'. Many people kept their sets, and were sent to continental prisons as a punishment. The Germans paid £100 to informers, though Le Cocq says that the Germans detested the informers themselves but had to do their duty. Le Cocq says that many people, civilians and German soldiers, were executed by shooting. Some people managed to escape the island, others lost their lives in the attempt. He describes the island as 'one mass of fortifications and barbed wire entanglements'. He says that the Germans 'did not treat us badly' and 'their behaviour left nothing to be desired'. The first Germans to arrive would usually move off the pavement for the locals, and 'women and girls went mad for them', and children used to play soldiers with them in the streets. The Forum cinema had to be divided to keep locals and Germans apart. Le Cocq says that the first lot of Germans who had been on the island were then sent to Russia, and had to be marched down to the docks and disarmed, where an escort with fixed bayonets forced them to embark. Le Cocq then describes the severe shortages of food, clothing and footwear and fuel for the islanders. They used boiled sea water to get salt, and made sugar beet syrup, and tea from carrots, parsnips and sugar beet. the Black Market caused prices to soar. Le Cocq talks at length about the last winter of the Occupation, which was the worst for shortages of everything, and for the terribly cold and wet winter. There were robberies for food, and people used to take what food they had to bed with them for safety. Many animals, including dogs, were slaughtered by thieves. The Germans at the end of the war were starving and would walk fields for scraps of roots, cabbage or nettles. Le Cocq praises them for being generous with food when they had it earlier in the war. He goes into detail about the prices of various commodities during the Occupation. He says that people were desperate and lives were saved by the arrival of the Vega. He also mentions the convictions of three island policemen for robbery, and that there were so many people convicted that they had to take their turn to serve their prison sentence. He is particularly critical of the behaviour of the Irish. [Imperial War Museum - reference D10874]

Reference: L/F/437/B1/1

Date: May 12th 1945 - May 12th 1945

[Copy from the Imperial War Museum - Not to be reproduced] Photocopy of a letter of W.J. Brehaut, of Surrey Villa, St. Martins, Guernsey, to a Mr and Mrs Sharpe. The letter is dated 18th June 1945. Mr Brehaut could not evacuate Guernsey in June 1940 because of a heart attack, and so spent the war on Guernsey, where he was a nurseryman and grew geraniums. He briefly describes the bombing of St Peter Port in 1940. He had a German unteroffizier billeted on him for 9 months in 1942. The German was allocated the best bedroom by the German authorities, but before he arrived Mrs Brehaut moved the best furniture out and took up the carpets. Mr Brehaut says that the German was 21 years old, clean, and could speak French, so they got on well enough, though they got little out of him. He describes the confiscation of his wireless and car, and the damage caused by the Germans, including the destruction of 200 houses. The Germans employed a lot of men in glasshouses on good wages, to the extent that local growers could not compete with them. He talks about the food shortages, though as he was able to grow his own peas and sweet corn they did not suffer too badly. Some people had no bread, but just boiled cabbage if they were lucky, and coffee made from acorns and tea from bramble leaves, and salt from sea water. [Imperial War Museum - reference D17480]

Reference: L/F/437/B2/1

Date: June 18th 1945 - June 18th 1945

[Copy from the Imperial War Museum - Not to be reproduced] Photocopy of a postcard from Richard and Marion Foley of La Nielle, St. Saviours, Guernsey, to Mr and Mrs H Galphin of Dorchester. The postcard is dated 9th May 1945, the day after the Liberation, and says that they are overjoyed at the arrival of British troops in Guernsey yesterday morning. [Imperial War Museum - reference D16858]

Reference: L/F/437/B3/1

Date: May 9th 1945 - June 10th 1945

[Copy from the Imperial War Museum - Not to be reproduced] Photocopy of a letter from Marion Foley to friends in the UK, shortly after the Liberation of Guernsey. The letter discusses the curfew and the precautions they had to take if going to a friend's house to listen to the BBC news on the radio, which Mrs Foley says was punishable by imprisonment for a year or more and deportation to France or Germany. She discusses the food shortages and the weight loss of isalnders, and in particular the terrible hardships of the last 9 months of Occupation, and then joy at the arrival of the Vega. Mrs Foley says that on the whole they cannot complain about the German treatment of civilians during the Occupation, though she talks of rumours that the Germans had plans to gas the elderly and invalids, sterilize men and deport women to Germany for 'breeding'. She was aware of the atrocities in Alderney against Jews and political prisoners, and talks about the terrible treatment of slave workers in Guernsey working for the Organisation Todt. The discipline of the Germans was good to the end, when they too were desperate for food. Mrs Foley says there were a high proportion of German babies on the island. She then talks about the deportations of UK-born islanders in 1942-43, and how she and her husband were reprieved on appeal by the States of Guernsey to the Germans, and allowed to stay. She says that perhaps they were not in too bad a place after all, after hearing from the British troops of the bombings, V1s and V2s in Britain. She concluded by saying that they feel they have been is prison for five years, and that things are moving at such a fast rate that they cannot keep up. [mperial War Museum - reference D16858]

Reference: L/F/437/B3/2

Date: May 9th 1945 - June 10th 1945

[Copy from the Imperial War Museum - Not to be reproduced] Photocopy of a letter [typescript] from Richard Foley to his mother, dated 11th June 1945. He describes the early part of his war experience - in particular the evacuation of June 1940 - as exciting. He then describes in detail his experience of the bombing of St Peter Port by the Germans just before the Occupation, and of later bombing by the RAF, particularly heavy raids on the island leading up to D-Day. He describes the first German officers in command of the island as 'extremely charming', to be replaced later by 'unpleasant' Nazi officers who 'put the screws on'. He describes the Black Market in Guernsey, and says that to a large extent it was started and supplied by the Organisation Todt. But he says that the Black Market was the only way to get the extras which meant survival. The Foleys had a Prussian officer billeted with them for a few months in 1941-1942. At the time he weighed about 14 stone, but was almost a skeleton by the end of the war. The Foleys moved from St Peter Port to St Saviour, where English was not widely spoken, and their son had to learn Guernsey French, as all of the local children spoke it. They made this move because food was more freely available in the country, and fuel too, though they were still desperate for food in the last months of the war. They got poor-quality clothes from France, and bought stolen German diesel oil for the house. Medical care was hard to come by and most complaints were put down to a lack of food of one sort or another. The Foleys both caught scabies, which they think was passed on by the slave workers, or on the German paper money which was renowned for being filthy. The island beaches were a danger during and after the Occupation because of the number of mines, and many deaths and injuries were caused. There were also murders - an elderly couple were killed for their Red Cross parcels, and Mr Foley says the few days after parcels were distributed were dangerous, with many robberies from houses by German soldiers. People would take their livestock into the house at night, even pigs. They listened to the radio at home, having failed to hand in their set in June 1942, but once the deportations stated later that year, the Foleys got rid of their set when they thought they were going to be sent away. They would listen instead at the houses of other people after that.They had been selected for deportation, but were reprieved. Mr Foley could never understand why the Germans had turned Guernsey into such a fortress.. He had expected an armed British assault, and everybody feared the result. [Imperial War Museum - reference D16858]

Reference: L/F/437/B3/3

Date: June 11th 1945 - June 11th 1945

[Copy from the National Archive - Not to be reproduced.] Operation 'NEST EGG'. - Occupation of the Channel Islands - Joint Outline Plan dated 7th September 1944. Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF), Office of the Chief of Staff. This file contains detailed reports and plans, logistical and military, for the proposed invasion of the Channel Islands by Allied Forces. The report has seven sections: Part I - Introduction Part II - Joint Intelligence Summary: Topography, Civilian Popualtion and Enemy Forces, Part III - The Naval Plan for the invasion (Including the ships allocated to the invasion) Part IV - The Military Plan for the invasion (Including Order of Battle) Part V - The RAF Plan for the invasion Part VI - Civil Affairs Plan Part VII - Joint Signals Plan There are also the 'Terms of Unconditional Surrender for the Channel Islands' - English and German versions. An appendix to Part II on Jersey gives descriptions of St Helier, St Aubin and Gorey, and potential landing places for the British forces, accomodation on the island, and a summary of German forces on the islands. [National Archive - reference AIR 16/1056]

Reference: L/F/437/A2/1

Date: September 7th 1944 - September 7th 1944

Search query time: 0.2500024 seconds • Page build time: 0.0038721839586894 seconds