Thomas Sutton is a very important figure not only in the story of local photography, but also in wider photographic history. Sutton had a workshop and studio in St Brelade’s bay from 1848 until it burnt down in about 1854. The printing establishment where he worked with Frenchman L.D. Blanquart-Evrard in the 1850s was advertised as “founded at the suggestion of, and patronised by, H R H Prince Albert” who was a keen collector of photographs. Sutton’s early experiments and contributions include the patenting of a “panoramic lens for taking photographic pictures”, the publishing of a pamphlet on a method of printing which he claimed to be permanent and the compilation of the first dictionary of photography. He also produced the first photographic publication of the island – “Souvenir de Jersey” in 1854.